Saturday, April 10, 2010

"The Girl From Nunavut" 12 X 36 Mixed Media/Can

A couple of nights ago we had a "Suddenly" winter storm. It literally came out of no where. It reminded me of my trip to the Arctic in March of 2008. Our plane had just landed and missed a major blizzard by about 5 minutes. The pilot came by and told us that. He was surprised that we were up there. I had been invited to paint and teach art to the Inuit. I felt so humbled and honored to be in their presence. They are honestly some of the most precious people I have ever met! I will hold them dear to my heart forever.

We were snowed in the first day, and so a special bonding time for us. We shared, laughed, ate and told stories. They are a very warm people. I desire to do a series on them one day. I gained very special friends and even had a little girl sit by my side or on my lap all week. I had worked on a piece up front and was stuck with it, she came and I said "Christine, do you want to paint?" So she took the brush and completed my painting and she brought that piece to life." Her mother made me cry, when she told me her daughter had been hurt by white people and yet Christine would come and sit on me and be my buddy for the week! Whose life was richer? Mine, I'm blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment