Sunday, May 9, 2010

" A Tribute To My Mother!"

A Ma Cher Maman! (To My Dear Mother)

Je vous aime avec tout mon coeur! I love you with all my heart!

My it has been years since I have written in French. All of my buds are telling me that I need to write again. I've been thinking, what to write about, and while I have soooooo many stories stored away in the computer of my mind, I felt to start with a letter to my Mother! Perhaps to let the world in on my love for one of the most amazing women that I have ever known. My grammar, spelling may need mending, but my Mother's love has been never ending!

Where do I start? Well today is Mother's Day and tommorrow is her 82nd Birthday! Her name is Rose, which means "Giver of Love" and that is who she is, and how she has selflessly lived her life. Born the second child, of 17 children to my Acadian Grandparents, She helped raise most of her 16 siblings. She then married my Father and went on to have a "Dozen Roses" herself. Really, I'm not kidding here, my parents had 12 children and I am the 11th child. I am so blessed to have that many sibblings and feel so close to all of them. She was told not to have anymore children after baby number 5, and yet she still gave me life. Merci Beaucoup, Maman!
(Thanks so much Mom). One of my sisters died as a blue baby, as Mom had her in the back seat of a car on a cold winter night and she died 1 day later. I look forward to meeting her in heaven once day. Her name was Carmen, and I checked the meaning lately and it means "Garden Song". I believe she was suppose to be a "Singer", so maybe Mom, I'll do my destiny and hers and sing the songs, she was suppose to sing. Selah, I'll have to think on that a bit more hey?

My mom had to be strong for us and hold down the fort, after my Father's death. There were debts to be paid, and the farm to run and so many children still at home. Yet, somehow she still managed to help other families when they were going through hard times and take their children for a year or 2. I loved that about her. Our house was an open house of refuge for the hurting world and it felt right. She cooked army pots of food, and she loves still to cook today. Breakfast was never just cereal. She would chef out with pancakes, bacon, eggs, toast, homemade jams, French Sucre a Creme, which is a maple syrup that we make that is made with whipping cream and brown sugar. No calories at all (LOL). She put her whole heart in feeding her family and everyone elses too. She still does this!

Milking cows and other outdoor chores were also on her 2 do list. While perhaps not her choice, these chores had to be done as selling cream and cattle was our bread and butter. I milked cows for 1 winter and the best part was getting to skirt the kittens in the mouth as they lined up for "Steamed Milk". That was a hoot. I so hope you all get a chance to do that one day!!! Mom taught us all good work ethics and hard work and we are all so thankful. We had running water but the main difference is "We had to Run for our water!" At times in winter months, she had to melt snow to even do laundry with her old wringer washing machine.

The smell of fresh bread would linger forver in our home, as I am still convinced that she would bake about 22 loaves of bread every few days, and made donuts, cinnamon buns, etc. She planted about a 1/2 acre garden, and was quite clever. She knew she needed some eager beavers to work that patch, so she would tell us if we would work hard in the garden, we could go to the lake swimming at night. So we would work and have mudclump fights in her garden, and sure enough, we would go to the lake after supper for a swim. There too was probably a method to her madness, because if you brought a bar of soap, you could have a bath. While we didn't know it she was pulling a Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn on us!! LOL

Delegating was something she learned to be very good at. My job was to clean house, do dishes, (there were alot of them) and I still don't mind dishes today! Also after school, I had to fetch the eggs. In the fall, mom would butcher the chickens, and while I could never be around when they butchered any animals (I would usually hide under my bed) I loved to come out and pluck chickens afterwards. My sisters and I had a real hoot then. We must not have had alot of toys cause we sure could make those naked chickens do the "Cha Cha or Tango!" O.K., so now you know I have had a sheltered life! Don't pity me please, I loved it.

Mom taught us that every life is so precious and everyone adds value to this world. She would drop whatever she was doing for drop in company (even if they had 8 kids themselves) She would then proceed to feed her own crew and the new arrivals and this is simply how it was. You never heard her complain, this is how she lived her life. My mother is my HERO! "Je T'aime beaucoup Maman!"

The Chapters of her life have been many, but her story is still being written. She has been sick for a while now and I could not be there with her today, but I just wanted to share a snapshot of this Wonderful Woman, I get to call My Mother! Happy Mother's Day/ Happy Birthday!

See You Soonest Mom!

Forever Love Me!
XOXOXOXXOXOXOX

1 comment:

  1. Rhea, this is the most precious and moving post of the story of your mom, her life and impact on you and your siblings. But more than the story of your mom, it is also a beautiful and poignant story about you, your values and the person that you have become and are. You have such a magical quality about yourself, a gentle sensitive special soul- someone that reflects back the giant of your mom - to make you the amazing person you are! hugs!

    ReplyDelete