Saturday, May 15, 2010

Whats In A Name???????

In recent years I have paid attention to some really awesome names that the younger generation have been giving their children. Several years back, I was giving a ride to a young mom. She had a newborn and another child about 4 years old. We arrived at our destination and enjoyed the afternoon. When it was time to leave, the 4 year old went outside ahead of us, while we were getting out shoes on and saying our good-byes. When we got outside, we realized he was no where in sight. We were surrounded by forest and so the mom frantically started shouting his name. "Freedom, Freedom, Freedom!"" For you see this was the boys name "Freedom". It sent chills up my spine, to hear her shout those words. Well the good news is that we did find "Freedom" and he was happy as could be! But I never forgot his name.

I've since heard the names "Liberty", "Destiny", and met a little baby boy named "Diesel". Well I can tell for sure that little guy will never run out of gas!

In many cultures of the world today, they put alot of thought into naming their children, as they know that whenever they meet and greet you they are speaking out your destiny. Isn't that too cool????

My mother always told me that my dad picked my name. Rhea means "Friend" and I have always wanted to be everyones friend. All my life I have been living in my destiny. In school, I had a bunch of friends. If a new student or foster child came to school, I would leave all my other friends for a bit and go and be their friend.

Rhea in the Greek, also means "A stream that flows into the desert." That too has been my life. My middle names are Marie, which is Mary in English, and Pauline which means "Little Preacher." Kinda Funny hey. My maiden name Dallaire means Loyal and Faithful.

So when I meet people I often love to find out if they know the meaning of their name. More often than not you will see a common thread to who they are and how they have lived some of that out. Oh, I probably forgot to mention that Rhea is also a flower and a bird. I got a picture once at a zoo of me and that bird, so there we had Rhea and Rhea. What a hoot!

If you care to send me a comment on your name, I would love to learn so many more of them. by the way I answer my comments via email, as I love to get to know the folks who comment.

1 comment:

  1. what a great story and just love the meaning of all of your names! I'll have to look up my name- not so sure i follow what it means- but will see! Names are very interesting- and think that it does have an impact on one's life! But, if a name doesn't suit yourself, you can call yourself what ever you like!! Thanks for this wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete